First things first, my Ninja is not a Vitamix, so i cant cook in it by the power of the motor. And second… i hate celery. So i omitted it, but of course you all can add it back in if you want 🙂
I took onion and garlic and carrot and microwaved them with a bit of water for 5 minutes. This takes a bit of the raw edge off the onion and garlic and makes the carrot softer.
While all of that was steaming, I opened the cans of tomatoes and assembled the Ninja. While at the store i had meant to find some diced tomatoes with Italian Seasoning, but Market Basket was out or something so i grabbed a jar that had garlic and basil. Because seriously how can you go wrong?
Once the steaming was done, into the blender they went.
Once everything was in, i blended on 2 and 3 (medium and highest settings) for several minutes, mostly while i found a pot and cleared the stove to set it on LOL.
Then into the pot it went. did you know the Ninja ha d a little opening in a corner just so you can pour things out more easily? OMG i am in love with this blender!
Do forgive my untidy and in desperate need of cleaning stove top there in the picture. The soup came out of the blender quite frothy but that calmed down some on the stove top. Took about 1.5 minutes to heat through and then i added in about 2 teaspoons worth of heavy cream and Bam! done.
This made 3 huge dinner servings. Each serving is 2 Green. If you add cheese Then it is also 1 Blue.
- ½ of a medium onion, peeled and trimmed of the ends, cut in half
- 1 medium to large size carrot, scrubbed and trimmed of the ends, broken in half
- 2 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with the liquid
- 1 (14.5) ounce can diced tomatoes with basil and herbs
- garlic powder, salt, pepper, pasta sprinkles, to taste
- Heavy cream
- put onion, garlic and carrot in a bowl, add ½ cup water and microwave for 5 minutes to steam them. drain the water
- Put the veggies in a blender and add both cans of tomato.
- Blend on high for several minutes until smooth
- transfer to a pot and heat up on stove top, 1-2 minutes
- drizzle a little bit of heavy cream into the soup at the very end
- add a small pinch of shredded cheese if desired